Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns

    I have a pair of 288-16K drivers and 1005B horns. I had them apart to install some rubber gaskets between the Horn Adapter and 288 Driver and I noticed that the 30210 adapters are slightly different.

    The difference lies on where the adapter fits against the 288 Driver. One of the Adapters has a raised metal gasket that fits perfectly into the 288 driver. The other adapter is completely smooth, so it would have 'room' for the rubber gasket to fit inside the indented center of the 288 Driver. I am thinking of just installing 1 gasket into the smooth adapter.

    Has anyone run into this before? Am I taking the right approach by installing one gasket in the smooth adapter and letting the raised metal gasket function on its own?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns

    They made 'em both ways. the flat adaptor gets the "hose washer" gasket as you surmised. The raised-face adaptor gets none.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    HB Super Moderator
    Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns

    Hello, BFish are you sure I had just done the same thing and Bill at GPA said they use a gasket too.They made 2 thicknesses a very thin one and a thicker one which he sent me I bought some from eBay also here they are 2 packs are the same and one pack is the thinner ones Regards ~ A B

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Hello, BFish are you sure I had just done the same thing and Bill at GPA said they use a gasket too.They made 2 thicknesses a very thin one and a thicker one which he sent me I bought some from eBay also here they are 2 packs are the same and one pack is the thinner ones Regards ~ A B
    I called GPA and they did not have any of the 'thin' gaskets.

    I also noticed that you have a picture of a gasket that looks like it fits between the throat and horn. Do you know where I could get some of these gaskets? Do you have a source that you got yours on e-bay from? Or do you any that you'd like to sell? Thanks

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    I called GPA and they did not have any of the 'thin' gaskets.

    I also noticed that you have a picture of a gasket that looks like it fits between the throat and horn. Do you know where I could get some of these gaskets? Do you have a source that you got yours on e-bay from? Or do you any that you'd like to sell? Thanks
    Cut-Throat , those gaskets( throat to horn) are for the Mantaray type horns not a 1005 they are only thin neoprene and Bill told me to make one out of it for my 1005's as they didn't have them.I bought them from eBay they were N.O.S. and that's all he had.And was quite pricey $$$ for the gaskets I plan on keeping as I need them to make gaskets for the 1005's Regards ~ AB

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    They made 'em both ways. the flat adaptor gets the "hose washer" gasket as you surmised. The raised-face adaptor gets none.
    FWIW, this doc says both get one, though they're different thicknesses/diameters: HF%20Horns%20Multicellular%20Horns - eSnips, share anything

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    FWIW, this doc says both get one, though they're different thicknesses/diameters: HF%20Horns%20Multicellular%20Horns - eSnips, share anything

    GM

    Yes, I see the different gaskets. Now I just need a source for them.............. this is always the problem with vintage electronics. Good gear that you can't find parts for.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Sorry for the misinfo

    Thanks guys, I stand corrected. All the older large drivers I've encountered already had the thin gasket "permanently" embedded in the recess, so I assumed they were like the "this is not a gasket/do not remove" gasket on the small drivers. The text for the record;

    a. When mounting an adapter, throat, or horn with
    a male fitting to a 288 or 290 Driver, a 20466
    (0.02" thick, No.1) gasket must be inserted between
    adapter, throat, or horn and the driver.


    b. When mounting an adapter, throat or horn with a
    flush faee to a 288 or 290 Driver, a 21270 (0.125"
    thick, No.3) gasket must be inserted between
    adapter, throat, or horn and the driver.

    e. When mounting a 203B Multicellular Horn to a
    288 or 290 Driver, no throat is required. Insert a
    21270 gasket between the 203B Horn and the driver.
    If an adapter is desired, rule a or b above apply.



    For the thin gaskets, just get some 0.020" automotive paper gasket sheet at the local parts store.

    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member fred76's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2008
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns

    If you are handy with crafting your own you could go the diy route (or have someone cut/make them for you)... Search for 'gasket sheets' in mcmaster.com.. You'll find 'gasket assortments'. Or you could try this compressible one from partsexpress.

    Parts-Express.com:Cascade VB-5 Gasketing Foam 2.77 sq. ft. | rubber gasket foam ads adhesive

    Yes, they're not cheap.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Question on Gaskets for 288 Drivers and 1005b Horns

    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    Yes, I see the different gaskets. Now I just need a source for them.............. this is always the problem with vintage electronics. Good gear that you can't find parts for.
    Picky, picky, picky........ There's a plethora of cheap gasketing materials available, so a keen eye, a steady hand and a sharp Exacto knife solves all non-metallic gasketing problems. If you're like me and now only have the sharp knife, then that's one reason for a DIYer having younger friends.

    That said, I can't comment directly to the large format drivers, but Altec's sealing system for the small format drivers suck big time for HIFI apps and where I achieved the most audible improvement of all the tweaks I did to a pair of 802/511, though the downside was that the combos became individually matched (indexed) sets since I align honed and mating surface ground them.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.